Wednesday, May 9, 2012

On Creativity

My husband just finished one of the busiest semesters of his post-secondary education thus far, and as I helped him review his notes and articles for one of his finals, he came across a video from TED a professor had shown the class during a lecture.

He invited me to watch it, and I was glad I did.

I'm going to extend the same invitation to you - it's very entertaining - Sir Ken is an engaging speaker, but it also has an important message.


Though the context of the videos is based on the education system, I want you to focus on the points he makes about creativity.

Because as writers, creativity is like the flour of our story recipe.  It's not the only ingredient, but probably exists in the greatest quantity, playing a role alongside other important writing ingredients, such as research, grammar, spelling, plotting, characterization, editing and voice (this list is not exhausitive - there are as many different types and elements of stories as there are cookie recipes!).

So check them out, and let me know what you think!  Note - they are slightly long (15-20 mins or so):

Ken Robinson Says Schools Kill Creativity

Sir Ken Robinson: Bring On The Learning Revolution


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...